Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Influence in Creating Media

As a Filipino American it isn’t hard for me to find influences to create media. All I have to do is turn on the TV and realize there is no one on television that represent me or the people I grew up with. I’m not saying there should an abundant amount of Filipinos or Asians on TV I’m just saying they shouldn’t be just one type of Asian on television. Every time I do see Asians on TV they are always playing the same role ninja, karate man, promiscuous Asian lady so on and so on. Whenever Asians are on TV they are the same race. There is no discrepancy between Chinese or Japanese, its just Asian. Its really disheartening too see this because there is a difference between each race. What frustrates me is there are no Filipinos out there at all.

Since I will be creating media for hopefully my career I want to make sure that people like me get a chance to be seen in the media. Filipinos or Asians in general are talented. It's just that you only see the stereotypical roles because that’s what the media calls for. I want to change that. I want to give all people a fair chance to be more than just a typecast. I want Asians to be considered heart throbs, I want Hispanics to be action heroes, I want all types of races and cultures to be treated fairly. Will it happen over night? Off course not, but this is what motivates me. I know it won’t happen right away. It's going to take hard work and getting people to open their minds. Not seeing people like me on TV is my biggest influence to create media. I feel once people get to see Filipinos or other races outside of their stereotypical roles media will grow into more than what is now. And what it is now is filled with only typecasts. .

No comments:

Post a Comment